14.5.08

Navy vs. Student Loans

For the most part many dental students today follow the loan, associate track when going through dental school. Most people totally disregard other payment options. My parents (my mother is a dentist and father a business man) are at the moment pushing me to join the Navy. Both of them understand the hardship as a new dentist.

I understand that many people are weary of the armed forces. I myself am very skeptical about the armed forces and that is why I have been asking many questions on SDN, to current dental students, past navy dentist, my parents, and to my recruiter. My goal is to fully understand what I am getting myself into.


My sister (BA in finance 2006; UF) did some research on the Navy vs. Associate/Public Health and to my surprise found that the Navy is a better option. If you hate the armed forces then you might not even want to look at the report. Please don't badger me about the opportunity cost of being in the Navy (to each is his own). If you have any questions message me on SDN (kevin512) or post a comment. Click this link to see the comparison.

If you haven't taken a finance or a business class you might have a hard time reading this document. If you want, print it out and show it to your friends in business school.

Please note that the information above is sited in the spread sheet. My income while in the Navy is based upon my stipend ($1,900 x 12 months) with a first year sign on bonus of $20k. Right now I am asking my friend, a CPA to complete another report similar to this. I'll post that one in about a week.

No comments: